Frequently Asked Questions
The St. Johns County Public Library System provides the ability to securely pay fines and fees on a patron’s library account or to donate via credit or debit card using Smart Pay.
You’ll need your library card and PIN number (last 4 digits of your phone number) to log in to SmartPay from the library webpage and retrieve details of your library account. You can see your balance, select items to pay, and securely charge your credit or debit card. Contact your library branch for any questions about your PIN.
- A third party provider (SmartPay) is used in the process to pay fines, fees or donate, or otherwise initiate credit/debit card transactions via the library’s website.
- The transaction is protected by SSL certification, a protocol for transmitting data securely.
- Smart Pay also complies with PCI-DSS standards (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards.)
- The St. Johns County Public Library System does not collect or store any personal information or credit or debit card processing data collected from the SmartPay site.
- Library fines and fees are cleared automatically from your library account during the payment process. Fees of $3 and over may be paid via credit or debit card.
- A failed transaction may leave a pending charge on your account. These “pre-authorized” amounts normally clear within 24 hours. One free receipt per account can be printed from SmartPay.
- When you select “SmartPay” you are leaving SJCPLS’s website and will be directed to SmartPay, an online resource to pay library fines and fees. Technical requirements and services are the sole responsibility of SmartPay. By proceeding you agree to accept and assume all risks and responsibilities for the losses and damages that may arise from your use of SmartPay and release SJCPLS from all liability.
- Log in to your user account.
- The My Current Checkouts section displays the items that you have currently checked out. If you have any items that are overdue, they will appear at the top of the list with a red alert icon.
- If you want to renew items, select the items you want to renew (or select them all by using the Select All check box) and then click the Renew button.
Items that can be checked out will have a Place Hold button that you can click to put the item on hold.
A window will appear for you to specify the library where you want to pick up the item when it arrives. Once you have selected the pickup library, click Place Hold. The system will tell you if the hold was successfully placed or not.
Once you have placed a hold on an item, you will be able to see it in My Account under the Holds tab.
- Log in to your user account
- Click on Holds to display the items you have requested
- Select each item you would like to have suspended
- Click suspend holds
- Enter the date you want your suspension to end and click suspend
- The status of the item(s) is now “suspended”
- Select the item(s) you no longer want on suspension
- Click cancel hold suspension
- Click Yes
- New Books 14 days
- High Demand Books 14 days
- Other Books 21 days
- Audio Books 21 days
- Music CDs 14 days
- Magazines, Comic Books 7 days
- New and High-Demand Feature Films 3 days
- Feature Films & Nonfiction Films 7 days
- Overdrive eBooks/eAudiobooks (10 items at a time) 14 days
- RBdigital eAudiobooks (10 items at a time) 21 days
- Hoopla (7 items per month)
- eAudiobooks 21 days
- Movies/TV shows 3 days
- Music 7 days
- RBdigital eMagazines (unlimited checkouts) no due date
Books-by-Mail, a free service available to all St. Johns County residents, provides home delivery of materials to program participants. This program is managed by our Bookmobile department.